A member of the House of Representatives, Farouk Lawan, on Friday failed in his bid to quash the seven counts brought against him by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission, over allegations that he demanded and received the sum of $620,000 as bribe from a businessman, Femi Otedola.
Lawan allegedly committed the crime while serving as chairman of the House of Representatives Ad Hoc Committee on Monitoring of Fuel Subsidy Regime.
An application filed by Lawan, and his co-accused, Mr. Boniface Emenalo, to quash the charge was dismissed by an Abuja High Court, presided by Justice Mudashiru Oniyangi.
The court held that Lawan and Emenalo must face trial as the proof of evidence filed by the ICPC had established a prima facie case against them.
In the application to quash the charge, Lawan and Emenalo’s counsel, Chief Rickey Tarfa (SAN), had attempted to stop the trial by challenging the jurisdiction of the court.
Tarfa had argued that the court should not have granted ICPC the permission to prefer the charge against his clients because the prosecution failed to provide materials which were required for the judge to grant the permission.
Arguing that the foundation of the case was faulty, Terfa also asked the court to discharge the accused persons since no prima facie case had been established against them.
Lawan and Emenalo had pleaded not guilty to the charge when they were arraigned on January 31, 2013.
They are being tried under the Violation of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000.
Firestone Oil& Gas Company Nigeria
Universal Hotel Enugu
oven cake craft
Chestnaz Laundry and Drycleaning
Channels Tv News
- COURT RULES AGAINST INTERNATIONAL BASKETBALL FEDERATION, FIBA
- Read The Frog Analysis & Your Life
- El Chapo Guzman: Mexican Druglord Threatens Isis Leader Baghdadi
- Queen of Silicon Valley, Diane Greene Run The Cloud Unit
- 3 Ways To Prepare For Success
- Read about ”The Intrapreneur”
- See a Way To Make Money
- Fears Envelope Nigerian Stock Excange, as Market Reopens for Trading
- Nigeria’s Army Publishes Photos of Boko Haram Members
- MICHEAL JACKSON TOPS LIST OF HIGHEST PAID DEAD CELEBRITIES IN THE WORLD
- Must Read Synapsyl The Pill That Enhances Your Brain Intelligence
- Behold The World’s Highest Paid Actor 2015:
- See The Wealthiest Hip-Hop Artist in The World 2015 Forbes
- Learn 5 Best Practices to Take Your Business Global With Twitter Ads
- Nigeria Multi-Million-Dollar Mushroom Market
- 491,351 hits
Blogs I Follow
- Travel photos
- Disciples Perspective
- OPTIONS BARBERSHOP
- temmie writes......
- GREATER GRACE ASSEMBLY
- MayorBEE-Global Ventures
- Steven .U. Omatule
- Better Living Personal Development & Martial Arts
- Info, News and B.S.
- TED Blog
- Matt on Not-WordPress
ASK ME QUESTIONS
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.