GUANTANAMO BAY DETAINEES ON HUNGER STRIKE

Detainees at the United States’ Guantanamo Bay detention camp have been moved into one-man cells in an attempt to end a hunger strike they began in February.
“Some detainees resisted with improvised weapons, and in response, four less-than-lethal rounds were fired. There were no serious injuries to guards or detainees,” Navy Captain Robert Durand said the action was taken because detainees had covered windows and surveillance cameras to block the guards’ view into the cellblocks.
“Round-the-clock monitoring is necessary to ensure security, order, and safety as detainees continued a prolonged hunger strike by refusing regular camp-provided meals,” Durand said.
The detention camp at the Guantanamo Bay US Naval Base in Cuba holds 166 men; most of them captured more than a decade ago in counter-terrorism operations.
Saturday’s early-morning sweep took place in Camp 6, a medium-security building where 80 to 100 detainees lived in cells that open into communal bays where they could eat, pray and watch television together.
As part of the hunger strike, prisoners had been refusing to let food carts enter some of the bays.
Earlier in the week, Durand said 43 prisoners were taking part in a hunger strike, including 11 who were being force-fed liquid nutrients through tubes inserted into their noses and down to their stomachs.
The hunger strike began in February to protest the seizure of personal items from detainees’ cells. Some prisoners told their lawyers that their Qurans had been mistreated during the cell searches, which the US military denied.
Attorneys, military officials and human rights monitors have all said the hunger strike was partly an expression of frustration over the prisoners’ unresolved fate.
About half of them have been cleared for release or transfer, but the US Congress has made it increasingly difficult to move prisoners out of Guantanamo and President Barack Obama has failed to implement his 2009 order to shut down the detention camp, a failure regarded in some quarters as Obama’s shame.Subscribe for alerts& follow the BIGGEST Business Blog in Nigeria & fastest growing entrepreneurial/Political blog in Africa daily
Follow me on Twitter- @udeozochibuzo
Email me- udeozochibuzo@yahoo.com
Become a fan on Facebook- udeozochibuzo
Connect with me on LinkedIn-udeozochibuzo
Watch me on Youtube-
Check out my Blog daily- http://www.udeozochibuzo.wordpress.com
BE SOCIAL SHARE!!

Advertisements

About udeozochibuzo

ENTREPRENEURSHIP, INFORMATION, NEWS-POLITIC, BUSINESS
This entry was posted in Business and Investments. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Comment or a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s