So we’ve got a new pope, and he’s got a new name—but what exactly does the moniker mean? It’s a salute to St. Francis of Assisi.
For a Jesuit pope, the choice is a nod to the Franciscans, often seen as Jesuit rivals. As a Jesuit, Jorge Bergoglio’s choice of the name says he wants to be “the people’s pope, a pope who cares about the poor, who wants to have solidarity with the people of the world,” a theology expert says
It also could suggest his hope to rebuild a church in disrepair, says another expert: St. Francis was said to have heard a command to rebuild a chapel that was falling apart. He was known as an opponent of greed, having given up material wealth. The name “clearly gestures that the Roman Catholic Church not only serves the poor, the Roman Catholic Church is the church of the poor.
However, the name could also align with St. Francis Xavier, one of the first Jesuits, NBC 4 reports. That Francis was an early missionary, traveling to India to spread his faith. “Every guy that takes vows as a Jesuit commits himself really to that understanding of being a missionary, whether he’s teaching in a high school or whether he’s serving in the foreign missions,” says a Jesuit leader.
What about the lack of a number: Should Francis be Francis I? Turns out John Paul I was apparently the only pope to use a “I, and that was a personal decision. Francis will be numberless.
Firestone Oil& Gas Company Nigeria
Universal Hotel Enugu
oven cake craft
Chestnaz Laundry and Drycleaning
Channels Tv News
- COURT RULES AGAINST INTERNATIONAL BASKETBALL FEDERATION, FIBA
- Read The Frog Analysis & Your Life
- El Chapo Guzman: Mexican Druglord Threatens Isis Leader Baghdadi
- Yahaya Bello Now Governor-Elect of Kogi State Nigeria
- Buhari Gives Poor Salaries to Ministers
- Queen of Silicon Valley, Diane Greene Run The Cloud Unit
- 3 Ways To Prepare For Success
- Read about ”The Intrapreneur”
- See a Way To Make Money
- Fears Envelope Nigerian Stock Excange, as Market Reopens for Trading
- Nigeria’s Army Publishes Photos of Boko Haram Members
- MICHEAL JACKSON TOPS LIST OF HIGHEST PAID DEAD CELEBRITIES IN THE WORLD
- Must Read Synapsyl The Pill That Enhances Your Brain Intelligence
- Behold The World’s Highest Paid Actor 2015:
- See The Wealthiest Hip-Hop Artist in The World 2015 Forbes
- 343,281 hits
Blogs I Follow
- Travel photos
- Disciple's Perspective
- OPTIONS BARBERSHOP
- temmie writes......
- GREATER GRACE ASSEMBLY
- Jagabeauty Makeup & Style
- Eccentrik Fashion
- MayorBEE-Global Ventures
- Steven .U. Omatule
- Better Living Personal Development & Martial Arts
- Info, News and B.S.
- TED Blog
- Matt on Not-WordPress
ASK ME QUESTIONS
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.